From celebrities, athletes, to the general public, everyone is in love with CBD. This is majorly because CBD is stacked with some powerful therapeutic properties that make is effective in relieving a variety of health issues. Moreover, a number of scientific research studies have been done that state the benefits of CBD for our overall health and wellness. If you are still unaware of the benefits of this organic supplement and are unable to make up your mind, we have compiled a list of CBD Health Benefits that are backed by scientific evidence. This list will help you know about the potential benefits of CBD for our health. Take a look:
What Is CBD?
Before we move forward with the benefits, let us tell you something about CBD.
Cannabidiol, popularly known as CBD is a natural cannabinoid which is extracted from the cannabis-based hemp plant. This cannabinoid is non-psychoactive in nature as it does not contain the high inducing cannabinoid THC. This is because the hemp plant itself contains less than 0.3% THC, which is not enough to make one high. THC, the high inducing cannabinoid is majorly found in marijuana (another cannabis-based component) and not in hemp.
Since CBD and THC are closely related, there are always questions regarding the legality of both the cannabinoids. Since CBD is extracted and does not make you high, it has been legalized in all 50 states of the U.S after the passing of the Farm Bill Act 2018.
Working Of CBD In Our Body
Our body consists of a network of naturally occurring cannabinoid receptors in the form of the Endocannabinoid System. This ECS runs throughout our body and helps maintain homeostasis by regulating various body functions such as appetite, pain, stress, weight, immune system and more.
When CBD enters our body, it interacts with these cannabinoid receptors thus helping in regulating many health problems related to these functions. Some of the benefits for which CBD has been studied include relieving pain and inflammation, reducing stress and anxiety, relieving epileptic seizures, depression, and more.
CBD Health Benefits Backed by Science
Let us now talk about some science backing health benefits of CBD for your body:
1. Regulating Pain And Inflammation
Pain and inflammation can be the two most common symptoms of almost all types of health issues. Pain can be acute as well as chronic and inflammation can be a response to a hyperactive immune system.
The most common reason for using CBD is relieving pain. This is because there are a number of studies that show the potential of CBD in treating different types of pain.
Let us tell you about a few such studies:
- A review done in 2008 assessed the potential of CBD for chronic pain relief. The review looked at studies conducted between the late 1980s and 2007. Researchers concluded that CBD was beneficial in overall pain management without having any adverse side effects.
- Another study done in 2016, discovered the use of CBD in rats with arthritis. The researchers noted a reduction in the inflammation and overall pain in the rats without any side effects. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4851925/
- One report also found that short term use of CBD can reduce the levels of muscle spasticity experienced in MS.
2. Relieving Anxiety And Depression
The stats of people suffering from anxiety and depression have touched the sky. Usually, antidepressants are prescribed to relieve the symptoms of these conditions but these medications are followed by adverse side effects. CBD, on the other hand, is a natural and effective way to treat anxiety and depression. There have been various trials that state the benefit of CBD for anxiety. There are also dozens of clinical trials that have been conducted to evaluate the potential of this natural supplement.
Few studies include:
- A study done in 2014 stated that CBD can have positive interaction with serotonin receptors in the brain thus being useful in treating depression. The study concluded that CBD can become a new drug for the treatment of psychiatric disorders.
- A 2017 study shows the evidence for the anti-panic actions of cannabidiol in a rat model. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5412699/
- A 2015 analysis of all prior studies stated that CBD is a promising option to treat various forms of anxiety including social anxiety disorder, panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, and post-traumatic stress disorder. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13311-015-0387-1
3. Treating Sleep Disorders
Sleep disorders like insomnia, sleep apnea, REM sleep disorder have also become common these days. Luckily, CBD has been studied in relieving sleep-related issues and provide a relaxed night sleep. Few studies backing CBD for sleep include:
- Research published in 2019 determined whether CBD can help in improving sleep and/or anxiety in a clinical population. In the first month of CBD administration, 79.2 percent of the patients reported lower anxiety levels and 66.7 percent reported better sleep.
- A review of studies performed in 2017 noted that CBD can treat RBD and excessive daytime sleepiness. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs11920-017-0775-9
- Another research done in 2014 found that CBD can improve the symptoms of REM sleep behavior disorder. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24845114?dopt=Abstract
4. Reducing Epileptic Seizures
One of the greatest benefits of CBD is in reducing the frequency of seizures in different forms of epilepsy. Infact, FDA in the year 2018, also approved a CBD based medication called Epidiolex in treating Epilepsy. Few studies that state the benefits of CBD for epilepsy include:
- A randomized study studied the effectiveness of CBD on patients suffering from Dravet Syndrome. This study concluded that CBD can be effective in reducing the seizures by almost 50% in the patients. https://thoughtcloud.net/cbd-reduces-total-seizure-frequency/
- Another review of studies done in 2019 on Epidiolex showed a reduction of between 30 and 60% in seizure frequency. https://f1000research.com/articles/8-234/v1
5. Treating Acne
Acne is one of the common skin-related issues which can be caused by a number of factors such as stress, hormonal changes, pollution, genes and more. Almost all of us deal with acne at some point in our lives. Studies show that CBD can be a potent remedy to treat acne. CBD can help in reducing the occurrence and recurrence of acne due to its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
A study published in 2014, stated that CBD can be a promising therapeutic agent for the treatment of acne. It can inhibit the growth of sebum resulting in the less oily skin.
6. Managing Heart Health
Heart Diseases are one of the leading causes of death in the United States causing nearly 610,000 deaths a year. Our body can be attacked by numerous heart diseases like high blood pressure, coronary ailments, stroke and much more.
The anti-inflammatory and antioxidative properties of CBD can help in reducing the risk factor of different heart diseases. Few scientific studies backing the power of CBD for heart health include:
A 2009 study, concluded that a dose of CBD lowered both the blood pressure and heart rate in rats who were subjected to a stressful situation. https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1476-5381.2008.00046.x
Another review conducted in 2010 found that CBD may help in protecting stroke patients from brain damage as well as aid the healing by boosting brain function. https://doi.org/10.3390/ph3072197
7. Relieving Diabetes
According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), an estimate of over 100 million American adults is currently living with diabetes or prediabetes. Diabetes can lead to an early death as well as can be a primary reason behind blindness, stroke, heart attacks, kidney failure, and lower limb amputation.The major cause of diabetes is a high level of blood sugar in your body. Luckily, there has been research that state the potential of CBD in relieving diabetes.
A study performed on mice showed that CBD reduced the incidence of diabetes by 56%. It also reduced insulitis, inflammation. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16698671
8. Killing Antibiotic-resistant Superbugs
CBD is a potential antibacterial compound and can be effectively used in fighting different infections. There have been research that states the benefits of CBD in fighting infection causing bacteria.
The antibacterial property of CBD was studied and it was found that CBD strongly reduced the bacterial activity of MRSA strains staphylococci and streptococci bacteria. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1085130
Another latest study states that CBD may be the next superbug fighter for antibiotic-resistant bacteria also known as superbugs. CBD topical cut the number of bacteria after 48 hours of its application, although it did not clear the infection and this research is ongoing. https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/antibiotic-resistance
9. Protects Bones
Our bone health is vital to our overall health and if ignored can result in various orthopaedic conditions such as easy fractures, osteoporosis and even bone cancer. CBD has displayed potential in safeguarding our bones for relieving issues like arthritis, bone impairment and bone illness. There have been studies that display the power of CBD in enhancing the healing of the fracture and reducing the loss of bone.
A study published in 2015 stated that CBD a Major Non‐Psychotropic Cannabis Constituent Enhances Fracture Healing and Stimulates Lysyl Hydroxylase Activity in Osteoblasts. https://asbmr.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/jbmr.2513
Another study by Bib and Zimmer which was published in 2007, showed that CBD can prove to be really effective when it comes to healing broken bones. This study showed that within 8 weeks, the mice involved in the study experienced faster healing in their femoral bones.
10. CBD For Cancer Cells
As we all know, Cancer is a life threatening disease. When cancer cells divide uncontrollably, they can result in tumors which can damage our immune system.
There have also been studies that suggest the benefits of CBD in managing some symptoms of cancers as well as the side effects of cancer treatment.
1. A study done in 2019, stated that CBD can provoke cell death enhance radiosensitivity of GBM but not normal astrocytes or healthy cells. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6368233/
2. A study performed in 2014 on the experimental models of colon cancer in vivo suggested that CBD may inhibit the spread of colorectal cancer cells. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phymed.2013.11.006
Final Thoughts On CBD Health Benefits
CBD is a widely researched cannabinoid and is still being researched for a variety of health issues. Moreover, CBD is a safe and non-high inducing cannabinoid which can be consumed by people of all ages. Successive research done in this field can make CBD a highly effective alternative for treating a variety of health issues besides the one mentioned above.
We hope you liked this article on CBD Health Benefits. Let us know your suggestions in the comments section below!